Monday 26 October 2015

Illustration know-how

Fig Taylor, portfolio consultant to the Association of illustrator, visited Staffordshire University again to share her wit, wisdom and expertise to the Illustration students. Once again, the event was a fantastic insight into the 'do's' and 'don't's of getting into the industry and making a successful career.



Portfolio consultant, Association of Illustrators. I have been offering career advice to members on a regular, part-time basis since 1986. My services have also been engaged by The Dots, D&AD and the UK charity NABS. In addition I operate a private consultancy for non-AOI member artists and educational institutions. I cover most aspects of freelancing, including portfolio presentation; self-promotion and targeting; exploring and expanding commercial potential; basic fee negotiation and the pros and cons of agent representation. My clientele is extremely varied. As well as illustration graduates and professionals, I am regularly approached by fine artists, designers and craftspeople wishing to make a career change. I have also worked successfully with many self-taught artists.